RoboCup is a prestigious international soccer competition for the robot teams. It is hosted annually by various countries. In the year of the FIFA World Cup the RoboCup competition is held by the World Cup host country.
The first RoboCup took place in 1997 at Nagoya, Japan. The robots have made a lot of tiny steps to the official goal of the RoboCup competition since that time. It sounds amazing: “By the middle of the 21st century, a team of fully autonomous humanoid robot soccer players shall win a soccer game, complying with the official rules of FIFA, against the winner of the most recent World Cup”.
Despite the entertaining character, the competition is intended for the research development in the field of robotics and artificial intelligence. There are some other activities within the framework of the RoboCup besides the soccer events. They include rescue competition, logistics, 2D and 3D simulation, challenges at resolving various problems at home and work environment.
- The team of Laboratory of Robotics and Artificial Intelligence of TUSUR University (Tomsk) took part in 3D Simulation Soccer RoboСup’2013.
- The team "Moscow Pioneers" took part in RoboСup’2006.
- The Saint-Petersburg team led by prof. L.A. Stankevich took the first place at the 2D Simulation Soccer RoboСup’2004.
- Team of robots is going to play with people. The newspaper "Izvestia"
- Russia became the world champion of virtual football
- IT and Society "We are ahead of the rest even in football!"
- The Third World Robots Football Championship. Team polytechnics - participant of the championship